Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Cautiously Optimistic

We had a Dr appt this morning with the surgeon. For the first time in a while Dane and I feel very positive about what is going on. We feel very confident in her and she did an amazing job explaining everything to us, with pictures, diagrams and putting it into terms we could completely understand. The only problem was she totally contradicted what my hematologist has said. She disagreed with his regimen wholeheartedly, from me being on bed rest, to the meds I am currently taking. We are in between a rock and a hard place because we felt like at this point, who do you listen too? We are praying about what to do, but our surgeon is also contacting my hematologist about her concerns. We pray for wisdom over both doctors so that I may receive the correct treatments that will resolve this long going issue and get me back to my "new normal" life.
I say new normal because there are things that will have to change now that we know of the genetic mutation that was found through all of this. Unfortunately, the compression hose will become a more permanent fixture in my daily wardrobe even long term. I am certainly not a fan of the hose for several reasons, mainly because they are hideous looking and also because this hot Dallas weather does not make it the most comfortable. However, I am ok with wearing it if it will prevent this from ever happening again! The coumadin looks like it will also become a permanent thing in my life....again I can handle that! Do I love it? No, but I except it. The clots still remain, however we got some positive feed back on resolving the issue.

We did ask if they thought the clot that was in my internal iliac vein was a break off from the original or was it new clot? They are not able to tell. We also asked the chances of the one in my pelvis breaking loose and going to my lungs? She said that it can still happen and there is no way they can tell me if it will or not. However, it is 3 cm and they feel very confident that if it did break loose that I am young enough, strong enough, in good shape and have healthy lungs that it would not be fatal. I would have to seek treatment and obviously would not be good, but they are very optimistic that it would not be deadly. That alone brought great relief.
So where do we go from here?
Well ,she feels that I need to continue to let my body heal...it's under alot right now but she does strongly believe that exercise and being active will help bring oxygen back to the veins and help them open back up. My veins have been damaged and have become very weak. This is part of the reason I still swell even though I am on blood thinners and wear the hose. The hose and blood thinners will not make my clot go away...they only prevent new ones. But if I can get my veins healthy again and get them working properly this will help my body focus on dissolving the clots.
Today is the best that Dane and I have felt since this all happened. I left the Dr office with a glow and feeling as if I was a new person. It's so funny, my condition has not changed, but just the confidence we had from our doctor and fully understanding gave us both a peace that we can not explain. I hope I answered most everything that people have been asking and hope this makes sense. Feel free to leave comments below or shoot me an email...I love hearing from you all!
Take Care, God Bless and thank you for the prayers... they are working!

2 comments:

  1. Britt I'm so happy to hear that you and Dane feel better about things! To God be the glory! I will continue to pray for wisdom for the doctors and complete dissolving of the clot with no complications in the name of Jesus! I love you so much! You are a precious gift to all of us blessed enough to know you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Britt! You now have God's peace and hearing this news gives me a peace as well! I will be praying in agreement with Wendi! God is in control. You are doing so good! Love you so much girl!

    ReplyDelete